Friday 19 April 2013

Blockman Returns

     This post is going to ducument the sculpting work I have been doing with my character, carrying on from the last post I had just imported my model from maya to zbrush. Being new to the program it took me a while to learn some of the basic features eg. how to stay in 3D mode, models must be saved as tools etc. But once this was out of the way I was ready to go.
      I was advised that a good place to start with model was to use poly painting to point out the "bony landmarks". With these in place it becomes much easier to sculpt the form based upon its skeletal structure.
 
The main focus is on the parts of the skeleton that are going to have a prominent effect upon the shape of the human form. I used reference images of skeletons that I found in magazines such as "Men's Health" to guide me on the positioning of the skeleton.
    
      The main focus at this point is to split everything up into different planes, which will make it easier to sculpt on to them later. With this in mind I am mostly using the trim brushes which allow me to scrape away bulk or layer it up but still keep the surface flat.
           Once I had a basic form to work with I was able to use the "Ecorche" muscle and tendon brushes, obtained from the cd which accompanied the book I am using, and with this I was able to paint on the different different muscle groups. It pays to have some knowledge of the human anatomy at this point. I take part in sports such as powerlifting and boxing so I have some degree of information about the names and posititions of some of the different muscle groups, However I also used books to guide me on this.
      The image below shows the basic muscular sculpting on my model. I could spend longer on it trying to get it perfect however it will mostly be used to create the mesh for the different items of clothing my character will wear. Therefore at least for the time being I will be leaving it as it is in order to move on to the next stage.


No comments:

Post a Comment