Sunday 28 April 2013

Using My Head

     Now that I have a basic body form it is time for me to start creating the head for my model. There are many different ways to go about this. I am starting mine in zbrush using a polysphere. I then masked part of this out and rotated that segment to create a basic skull shape as seen below.
I spent a lot of my time using the trim brushes in order to create the planes of the face. I used the move tool to stretch out a neck shape and to pull eyeballs from the socket. I have seen examples where the eyeballs have been made separately but this is not what I am doing for my model. Sculpting a face is not something I have done since last year so some areas of this were difficult to grasp, particularly since I was using a new program. However the body sculpting I did beforehand gave me some chance to warm up.
      Once I had the planes of the face laid out I could start sculpting in some of the curves of the face. I found the best thing to do with this process was just to keep working and coming back to it with a fresh look until I had refined a sculpt that I was happy with. I found it helpful to keep a bulk of magazines around my desk so I had a constant stream of references to compare my model to.
Once I was happy with the sculpting of my head I had to begin the process of retopologising the model. It was best to use the polypaint feature to paint the new topology first.
With this topology painted out I was then able to use it to guide my new topology. Firstly I loaded up a Zsphere from which it was then possible to rig to my original headsculpt and then edit the topology.
With the symmetry on to save me doing both sides I could create vertices where they appeared upon the topology map that I painted onto my sculpt.
When this was complete I was able to make a "skin" of this new topology which was then ready to be exported into Maya
Once my model was loaded up in Maya I created additional edge loops around the eyes and mouth. I then went on to create ears, shoulders, eyebrows and eyelashes for my model, which I will do further work to once it is imported back into Zbrush. My next job will be to finish up any sculpting work and then work on the texturing.











No comments:

Post a Comment