Thursday 16 May 2013

Contextual

     I was pretty late into the project before I could decide on an essay question this time round. My problem is that I usually enjoy the writing more if it is about something I am interested in, however even with such a diverse them, how games change the world, I cannot think of something of interest. I have decided to lean towards something about the way the military uses gaming. This was initially put in my head by a comment someone on our course made about Kinect for the Xbox being developed in the military initially.
      I started with just a few general searches relating to games in the military. One of the most prominent things to come up was "America's Army" a war game/simulation that was being used as a recruitment tool.

     This got me thinking about how else the military could be sing these simulations for training, recruitment and propaganda. This is likely a point that I will try to base the structure of my essay around.
     Another thing that stood out to me was the psychology aspect, one particular site http://www.springer.com/about+springer/media/springer+select?SGWID=0-11001-6-1152421-0This 

mentioned how gaming may be able to treat problems such as post traumatic stress disorder. I immediately contacted a friend who knows a psychiatrist in the hope of getting a first hand opinion on this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment